Facts About Coronavirus from an Infectious Disease Expert
Joe Rogan sat down with Michael Osterholm, an infectious disease expert out of the University of Minnesota, to talk about The Coronavirus on Tuesday and here are some of the most important things he said. Check out the entire Joe Rogan Experience with Michael Osterholm HERE.
1. The coronavirus isn't going away next week. He says the next three to six months could be like this. We're not going to have a vaccine anytime soon, so this is going to be our new normal for the time being.
2. This pandemic could be 10 to 15 times worse than a bad flu season. He's projecting 96 million cases, 48 million hospitalizations, and 480,000 deaths over the next three to seven months.
3. It's not just a disease for old people, although elderly people with compromised immune systems have the highest fatality risk. There have also been lots of horrible cases in people in their 40s and 50s. So far, it HASN'T been as serious in children.
4. There are about four days between when you breathe in and contract the disease and when you show symptoms. And as we've already heard, you ARE contagious during that time.
5. The primary method for transmission is breathing. So the best preventative measures are to avoid large public spaces and try to limit contact as best you can.
I know people have their own opinion on Coronavirus but no matter what you believe, it's still a good idea to protect yourself and to know the facts!