Dryer Fire Displaces Family of Six in Temple
A family of six in Temple was able to safely escape their home thanks to a child who noticed something was wrong and spoke up.
Temple Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to a home at 1001 South 29th Street at 10:43 PM Thursday. 9 units and 20 personnel arrived three minutes later and found the family standing outside their one-story home. Firefighters entered the structure and were able to quickly extinguish a fire that started in a clothes dryer.
Public Information Officer Thomas Pechal credited a child who discovered the fire and warned the family with saving everyone's lives. They're now receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.
The home suffered smoke damage, and a dollar loss had net been determined Friday morning. What's important, however, is that no injuries were reported.
The scene was cleared by 11:47 PM.
Pechal shared the following information in a news release about the fire:
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. Follow these safety tips to prevent a clothes dryer fire in your home:
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Clean the lint filter before and after each cycle.
- Check the venting system behind the dryer to make sure that it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.
- Replace coil-wired foil or plastic venting with rigid, non-ribbed metal duct.
- Follow the manufacturers operating instructions. Do not overload the dryer.
- Keep the area around the clothes dryer free of items that can burn.
- Turn off the dryer when you leave home or go to bed.